Founded by Douglas William Glendining and acquired by Phillips Son and Neale in 1946, after which Glendining continued to operate the firm under the Glendining name. In 2001, Phillips Son and Neale merged with Bonhams & Brooks to form Bonhams.
Harrington E. Manville's Biographical Dictionary of British and Irish Numismatics (vol. 4) entry for Douglas Glendining (1863-1951) notes "British Numismatic Society founder-member. A turn-of-the-century war medal collector who left a position with Lloyds Insurance Co. in 1900 to establish the auction house of Glendining & Co. in King William Street – moving to 7 Argyll Street in 1905. At this time Sotheby’s had established almost a monopoly on the sale of important numismatic collections and Glendining’s struggled somewhat at first. Gradually however, partly through Glendining’s personal attention to collector needs and partly through the reported anti-Sotheby co-operation of S.M. Spink in the 1920s, the firm gradually overtook its rival and by the 1930s had established a practical monopoly in its turn. After the founder’s death in 1951, William C. (‘Bill’) French (1919-1986) effectively managed the firm until his own death."
Data source: content provided by auction company.
Past Auction Results
15 entries found for[year: 1954]Displaying records 1 — 15
Select a year
1954 May 26
# of Lots: 353